I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
-Marshall McLuhan

17 September 2010

People OR Ad Sales Still Suck

I actually haven't seen a book where the title was "****** or *************************" since elementary school. Do people still do that? Giving a story two titles. 


Anyway, I tried to sell ads again.
A few people seemed interested.
One place, Dunn Bros Coffee, by Costco, they said they'd probably buy an ad next month. So I seem to be set for next six weeks, I just need something for this six weeks. 


The Dunn Bros place, it was really nice inside, but I tried some of their coffee a while back... it's not such good coffee... But the people are really nice, and the atmosphere is just great It's just, the coffee wasn't so good. Not the coffee that I tried, anyway. Who knows, maybe some things are better than others?


Anyway, the owner there, his name was Cactus. I thought that was pretty cool. I never thought I'd meet someone with a cool name like that. I dunno, but I think that's an awesome name. 


A few days ago, I found out a senior or junior at my school (I think he's a senior, but I'm not sure) has a really girly art style. He and fuku-banchou (vice... gang leader, actually, of the Japanese Club, but you know what I mean.) were arguing over who drew better. I think they might be about the same, but I think I like his art style a bit better than fuku-banchou's, and he's really good at backgrounds. Fuku-banchou never drew backgrounds so I'm guessing she's not so good at them. 


You see it in manga every now and then, though. Like Lucky Star or Nightmare Inspector. Both were drawn by men, but the art style looks so girly. Actually, I could imagine Lucky Star being drawn by a man, but with Nightmare Inspector, I saw the mangaka's name, and I was like, "Oh, SHIT, this was drawn by a man!!!!!!!!!" I never thought I'd actually meet one in real life.


Anyway, back to the title of this post, a few people seemed genuinely interested, but no one would just sign the damn thing and give me a check. (I prayed to the advertising god and I made that joke to a friend, and she was like, Oh? How many gods are there? It was a joke -.-')


Oh, and then after I made that joke, she wanted me to prove that there were many gods. I was like "there's really no way anyone can prove the existence of many gods, one god, or even no god..."


Friend: "Oh? What do you mean?"


Me: Well, prove to me that your god exists.


Friend: "I can with the bible"


Me: *Sigh* No, I mean prove it so that no one, no matter how extreme an atheist, will be able to refute what you said. Atheists don't see the bible as proof. To them, it's just a book. Like in advertising, just cuz a brand calls itself the best detergent or coffee or paint doesn't mean it's true. The bible saying God exists or that God "wrote" it means nothing. 
              Really, there are these fundamental differences in morals and understanding that prevent theists and atheists from having a calm, civil conversation with each other about religion so that everyone understands. Anyway, I feel like I'm going into really, really dangerous territory, so PLEASE CAN WE DROP IT!!!


And then it went on, and it became clear to me that she thought I actually believed in gods. She said that when people talk about religion, atheists don't believe in God, so they fight. But I don't, I believe in not one god, but many gods, etc, etc.


You know... I actually... don't believe in God... in any God... I just think it'd be cool if they existed... and I like the idea of many gods better than one god.... -.-''


Friend: Ooh...


Oh, and recently, a friend from Canada found me on facebook and friended me. I didn't even remember him when I was looking for old friends on facebook, and then he went and found me and friended me. It was the weirdest feeling. I didn't really think of him as a friend. I remember another friend and I would always call him an airhead. And he kind of was. And I remember he had really, really long eyelashes. And wide eyes. He made me think of Bambi, now that I think about it.... o.0


_______________________________


Sometimes, I'll listen to my whole itunes library and just put it on shuffle. And then a song I haven't heard in a year will play, and I won't recognize it and nearly freak out. 


Other times, I'll hear a song I used to hate, and once I hear it again, I think "this song is so awesome!" and then I look at the title and it's like "...I hated this song..." Or, when I first hear a song, I'll think that it's so loud, and then a few months later, I hear it again and I'll think it's a really nice, soft song. I must have always been a bit crazy.


I think I'm getting addicted to drawing with a tablet. It's really very fun. 
If you want to see what I just finished today, click here.
that mintybunnyslippers.vacau.com is something a few friends and I started. It's not very finished, but it's an adorable site.


MINTY BUNNY SLIPPERS

I'll probably put up other stuff there, too... so... yeah, check often to see more of my work?
Really, I don't like showing people my drawings, but I'm opening up to it.
The drawing you (should have) just clicked is just something I drew in my sketchbook redrawn in photoshop. I really think only the hair looks good. I love the smudge tool. :)
It still sucks that Painter busted on me. It seems to do that a lot, though. They call it "Painter Poof." They evened named it. Horrible.


_______________


I used to just be really gloomy, but now, I'm feeling happier. I can't say happy, but happier. I'm not depressed as much, and my drawings are getting less dark and more... well, I still like drawing death, but the drawings aren't as scary anymore. One of you guys should know what I'm talking about. In eighth grade, I drew an angel who had a broken rope in her hand and was walking on a cross. Only one person asked me why she looked like she was about to jump off. Really, what I was thinking was that she was always led where to go by that rope, but then it broke, so now she's lost. And if she keeps going, she's gonna fall off the cross and possibly die. Yeah, she could just fly, but, hey, it was a bit of a scary picture if you thought about it too deeply.


I drew another one where there was this girl in something like an Alice in Wonderland/Wizard of Oz style dress, and she was running along the edge of a building under construction. She looked all happy and adorable and smiling, but then you look at the rest of the background and then it's like ... O.O


but no one seems to really look at my drawings. Yeah, they'll stare and ooh and aah and think how pretty they are, but they never really look at what's happening in the drawing. When I draw, yes, I want it to be pretty; I draw because I want to see something pretty. But at the same time, I like to think myself a story-teller. It needs to have something, some words behind it. 


That one on Minty Bunny Slippers, I drew him thinking some seme-type guy will look at him and compare him to a Greek god. I think he looks a bit too pretty, too frail for that, though. With the Greeks, I think their idea of beauty was more a strong beauty, the strength in it. And then I drew a bunch of other characters with some kind of tarot card in their mouths (I want to buy a pack of tarot cards. Just cuz. I will! Soon! Ish... maybe...!) and one person had the Tower. I just remembered it had to do with self-destruction, right-side up or upside down. So the guy has this cocky smile, though you can't see his eyes, and he looks kinda goth, but kinda plain. Just a jacket and a hood covering his face and a boot on his left foot. And a scythe. I still like drawing death. I can't get away from it. No, I don't like drawing dead people, or dead things, I like drawing personifications of death. Another drawing has a guy with the Fool. He has all these fancy clothes and a jacket kinda like Grelle from Kuroshitsuji. And then, I had another guy with the Lovers, but I don't feel like I like him that much... I couldn't fit in the scythe, for one thing, and he... kinda looks like a biker? Idk, but he doesn't really fit the theme I was trying to use in that series. And then Tatsumi (the name of the guy on Minty Bunny Slippers, if any of you didn't click on the link or didn't see the name) appeared again, holding the Hanged Man. And then I didn't draw clothes on him again. 


I really like drawing him, but I feel like he looks better with no real clothes. On the picture on MBS, he was probably wearing briefs under that sheet. Probably. I really don't know.
So, now, I kind of want to do a story on those guys. (Yes, I finally got to my point.) But I don't really want it to have to do with death or reapers or anything like that. I do want to use the tarot cards as a motif or something, though.


Anyway, yeah. 
That's all...
I probably had more I wanted to write, but may or may not appear in the next post. Or maybe a post two months from now. Who knows. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment