I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
-Marshall McLuhan

13 September 2010

Ad Sales Suck

Today, I went through Rice Village, trying to sell ads. 
For a lot of those places, the owner of manager wasn't there, so I just left the ad contracts and a copy of the magazine. They told me they'd have the owners look at them. I'm not sure if that really means anything, but one person looked like she actually wanted to buy an ad. 
*Sigh*
I just hope someone buys an ad....
Ad sales suck.They really, really suck.
I really, really hope someone buys one...... *sigh*
And when I started talking to them, I got all peppy and happy almost on reflex. It's awful. 


___________________ 


In PE, we only ever do these stupid exercises. We really should get a lot of time to ourselves, but they take an hour to take role  and they don't allow us to get out of our lines until we're done everything.


First is stretches, and then we have to run a certain way from one end of the gym to the other. One of them is called "karaoke", only they call it "carry-okie" Where the heck to do you get "ree" from "ra" anyway? 


Anyway, you run sideways, stepping in front of one foot, and then stepping behind, and then to the side, and then in front, etc, etc. It's really simple, but most of my PE class seems unable to do it. And then one girl said "that shit is dangerous!"


How the hell is that dangerous? Maybe what's more dangerous is you lack of balance.


__________


In English, we did that DEAR thing. Drop Everything And Read.
But first, we went to the library to learn about the Personal Project.
It's a project all 10th graders have to do. It's supposed to be really big, only it seems to be pretty simple and pointless. 


And I'm wondering if it's something you have to do a lot of research for.
It says you can do creative writing. I just want to write something. The story ideas I want to do, I've been thinking about for a while, and I won't really need to do much research.


I've narrowed it down to three.


A war story, about a revolution.
An episodic sci-fi comedy.
a series of short stories. Just cuz there are titles I want to use to a short story. Or just anything. A few I want to use are Footsteps on the Moon, Footsteps Dancing Under the Ocean and A Sea that Tastes like Tears. If I do the series of short stories, it'll probably be a series of short stories and manga one-shots. Even though I say series, they really won't be related. 


Anyway, because we had to go to the library, we only had thirty minutes to read. I asked the teacher if I could read a philosophical essay instead of a novel. When she first explained it, she said it had to be a novel. And she gave me this weird, wide-eyed look.


Sensei: Philosophical...?
Me: Yeah! 
Sensei:Sure... if that's what you want to read for forty-five minutes....
Me: Yes! 
Sensei: Okay...


She probably thought me odd.


If you want to know, the book is Being and Nothingness by Jean-Paul Sartre. I'm starting to think all French philosophers like the word "absurd." Actually, I'm starting to like it. I hated it, but I'm starting to liked it.


It's a really difficult book. In 30 minutes, guess how many pages I read.


8.


8 pages. 
It's a really difficult book.
But I like it.
And it's about things I think about a lot.
I feel like Sartre could have worded it more simply. He has this... pompous style, and he just assumes that you've read a million other philosophical works. Which you should have, if you're trying to read this book... 




But still.  

No comments:

Post a Comment