I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
-Marshall McLuhan

27 July 2010

I'm Ba~ck! Did you miss me?

Aah, I doubt it. It's only been four days.
People don't seem to read often, anyway.
But on Friday, I left for that journalism camp, and I came back yesterday.
Tadaima.
Maa, chotto osoi kedo.


We went to Texas A&M for a four-day communications camp held by Taylor Publishing. It was almost $350.


On Friday, we got there at about lunch time, and we ate at Freebirds (my mother made me lunch, tho, since we were told to bring one meal...) I had beginner classes with about four other people, though they all left me to go to the advanced class... The classes were boring, and we'd gone over everything in Journalism-sensei's class... We also had a project thingy to do, four stories (including a news story, a feature and an editorial), 20 story ideas (we got 41), some layouts and center spread ideas, a schedule and policies and basically what you'd typically do for a magazine (my school has a magazine and not a newspaper) in a few weeks-- and we had to cram it all into three days. 


Saturday was all classes (our days were more than 12 hours, 8am to 9:30 pm) and there as a press conference thingy where they had some people from Taylor who rode in the MS 150 (a bike ride from Houston to Austin that raises money to help researchers find a cure for multiple sclerosis-- google it) speak and answer questions. The news, feature and editorial stories had to be on the press conference. But it wasn't even that long and they didn't answer that many questions so we had no choice but to do follow-up interviews. But then two of the four people left, and one of them was to come back later. The other went off to Dallas. Not sure why. I finally found the guy I wanted to interview and he was like, "you have three minutes."


The thing was due on Sunday. It was a long day... Sunday was also electives. First I had Feature and Column writing, and then news and editorial writing. The Feature and Column writing thing was the only place I learned anything... and it was the only class that didn't make me want to sleep. There was also a pizza dance party thing, but a lot of the people in my hall didn't want to go (we stayed in the dorms). But then, the fire alarm went off and we had to get out. We all rushed out, and people who weren't in the dorms were like, "what the hell?"
     But it wasn't even a fire. Someone went and burned cup ramen. I think there were stoves and microwaves at the end of the first floor. But we had to wait a while for them to open the building again so we ended up going to the pizza thing. 


Monday had the project critiques and the closing ceremony. The closing ceremony was soooo loooooooong. And my school didn't get anything... there was something for yearbook about layout, I think, tho...


I feel like it was a waste of money. The dorms were uncomfortable, too. When I walked in, I thought "prison." But it used to be a military camp or something like that...
But I was able to talk to the rest of the staff a bit. The yearbook and magazine staff isn't that close, apparently, so we had to do a bonding circle, or something. the food wasn't as bad as I expected, but it wasn't that good, either. 


And the thing that bothered me most was that the campus was so confusing! You can't just go in a straight line in one direction to get somewhere, and the campus layout makes no sense! Why can't it just be in a circle, so if you get lost, you just keep going in one direction until you find your building? 


Luckily, I got along with my roommate. And I didn't need to convert her to a fujoshi just to get along. If possible, I'm not going again.


*sigh*



No comments:

Post a Comment