I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
-Marshall McLuhan

19 August 2011

I am a pansy (also, sorry about the lameness)

Since I've gotten my orange belt in Tae-Kwon-Do, I have to now partake in free sparring so I can practice all the techniques on a real person.


This started a couple weeks ago. I struggled into my arm pads and chest protector and stared nervously at the black belt across from me. 


The instructor barked a sharp "Begin!" in Korea, and I realized.


I am a pansy. 


I don't like hitting people. I don't. I don't care if they have protective gear on, or if my wussy kicks wouldn't do any damage if they had them off. I don't like hitting people.


Because I am a pansy. 


I just thought I should get that out there.


____________________




I was (and still am) working on a continuation of that short story from the last post. It takes place four years after the event of that story, and that's pretty much all I will say about it.


But struggling to write part 2 made me realize...
I don't know how a 12-year-old thinks. Or acts. It's been, oh, three and a half years since I was twelve. Do I remember how I was back then? Not really. I was kinda depressed and kinda cynical and kinda nothing like the narrator of the story, so that really doesn't help me.


So I wrote a first draft, and I liked it. I ran it through my mother, and I asked, Would a 12-year-old do that? (Sorry, no spoilers)


She looked at me and said, Would a 12-year-old do that? 


I thought.
And realized... No. A twelve-year-old would not do whatever it was that he did, unless he was a serious case of arrested development. He still seemed to be eight-years-old. 


So, in a fit of self-directed rage, I tried to write a second draft.
 And I realized.
No!
Now he talks like he's 16. 


And so my struggles continue.






Also, school starts on Monday! Whoo hoo! 






















Just... kidding... I didn't....


I didn't mean that.

No comments:

Post a Comment