I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
-Marshall McLuhan

27 June 2012

The Summer of Indigestion and Exams (also: Cars are f*cking terrifying)

I tried to write this post a few days ago at about 2 in the morning when I was insomniatic(not sure if that's a real word) and slightly delirious (fairly sure that's  a word). After a few minutes I realized that would've been stupid and I stopped. 


Anyway, I'm about a month into my summer, and most of it was spent either in or in preparations for exams. A lot of the month was also spent having indigestion. It's probably because I've been staying up late and then sleeping in late and then stuffing my face the entire time I'm awake, but I don't have any plans to stop that any time soon.


At least, I wouldn't if I didn't start driving school a few days ago. 
For the past few days I've been sitting in a room that starts off swelteringly hot and gradually turns ball-freezing-ly cold staring at a lady explaining traffic laws, trying not to fall asleep as I stare at the drivers' handbook in front of me. 


I'm not the type to label all my days so I can remember them later (which, if Sex and the City can be believed, is what 35-year-old single women do) but this summer is rapidly turning into the Summer of Exams and Indigestion. What with the SAT Subject Tests (done) , ACT (done), the various tests I'll have to get to get my license (not done), and the near-constant indigestion, which has actually become more manageable, but only because I've had to wake up at a reasonable time because of driving school. 


Speaking of which, I got my instructional license today, meaning I am now allowed to operate a wheeled vehicle as long as there's an adult with a driver's license and a year's driving experience conscious and in the passenger's seat. My mother tried to convince me that the test for it was going to be insanely difficult, but it wasn't. What was insanely difficult, though, was not going crazy during the 3-hour wait at the DPS office in order to get my instructional license. I swear, Hell consists of one of those offices, and they always close just before they can get to you. We left with about 45 minutes til closing, and there were still dozens of people waiting. 


I'm not actually terribly excited to learn how to drive. I don't actually want all the independence and freedom or whatever a license is supposed to give me.  Cars are frikking scary, man. 


While we were going to the DPS office, only vaguely aware of the hellish wait that awaited us, two cars in front of us nearly hit each other. One swerved slightly but was able to keep going without a problem but the other one, holy shit, the driver lost control and his car swerved and spun around and there was screeching and tire marks and smoke from the friction between the wheels and the road--


It was really scary.


I don't want to drive.







1 comment:

  1. Wow your comment brings back memories...I was seriously scared/freaked out about driving, especially when I had to drive in the city. I'd refuse to drive places and my parents got onto me about it.

    It's funny cause I was thinking about this while I was driving to work the other day - now, I enjoy driving, it makes me feel free, and it's like a symbol of how much I've grown up. I guess a lot of it is because it's an excuse to listen to my music LOUD. And I've been driving around the country a lot lately and that is really fun.

    But I don't know, I'm not sure I'd be as comfortable driving if I'd learned in the city, and I certainly don't feel comfortable driving in the city today. Interstate driving and exits etc. *is* freaking scary!

    ReplyDelete