I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
-Marshall McLuhan

16 June 2011

Summer School, Sunsets and... some... other... s word...

Hi.
It's probably been a while.


Today is the end of my second week of summer school. 


I didn't fail anything, by the way.
Oh, but I've already told you why I'm taking summer school -.-'
Yeah... so.... uh....


Pre-cal does suck, though.


Also, yesterday, I was handing in some work the teacher assigned us, and he said, "You're the artist, right?"

"I suppose"


"You're the one who's drawing all the time."


"I guess... yeah..."


So, this actually wasn't too significant, but it made me realize something.


When I was in fifth grade, I decided that I wanted to be a writer. Either that or fourth grade. Somewhere around there. I actually don't remember why I wanted to become a writer. I think it was a mix between someone telling me some crap I wrote was good, and my feeling that I was alone and misunderstood when all I wanted was for someone to listen to me.


So, yeah, I was so melodramatic and easily influenced, I somehow became good at writing.
Because I wasn't back then.
I'm not saying I'm good now, but I'm a lot better.


In any case, in elementary school, I was identified by most people as "Fox Lady" (cuz I was obsessed with foxes... no idea why @.@), "Grammar Nazi" or "The Writer." 


Because I wanted to be a writer, and that didn't seem to be common in my fifth grade classroom. 


Anyway, after I came here to Houston, I started to draw more than I wrote, and I eventually didn't suck, and now I'm usually identified as "That Short Asian Girl" or "The Artist" because I am short... and Asian (-.-') and because I carry a sketchbook around with me and I'm drawing all the time through class.


But, despite my gravitation to drawing, I've still considered myself a writer. In my head, I never thought that drawing was dominant to writing, even if I did draw more than I wrote.


So it really just gave me a bit of a strange feeling.
I'm a writer, but I draw more than I write.
But I'm still viewed as an artist to other people. Most people probably don't even know that I write, unless they've seen my name in the school magazine, which they probably have not. 


______________




Ooh!
I don't know if I mentioned this in my last post, but I've started to take Tae-Kwon-Do classes with my brother.
The first class really sucked because I was so out of shape, but now I can actually do three pushups! In a row!
(Don't judge)


So, uh...
It's actually really fun, and I really like getting to hit stuff. 
When my mother comes at the end of class to wait to pick my brother and me up, she watches and she told me once that I looked like I really wanted to hit someone.
And I kind of did.


And I'll probably be testing for my orange belt (I'm a white belt right now, of course) in a couple weeks. And then I'll probably have to get sparring equipment.
And sparring looks like fun! 
but then I saw someone get kicked in the back of the head (not hard, mind you) and now sparring kind of terrifies me. Cuz I get scared easily, because I'm probably a coward. 


Yesterday, there was another white belt a bit more advanced than me, and while we were doing kicking practice, he kicked the bag so hard, and it made a really, really loud sound. He moved the thing, like, two inches with every kick. It's really quite scary. Whereas I can barely get the thing to teeter a little bit. -.-'


Also, yesterday, I went to the orthodontist. Because I will be getting those Invisalign things. My teeth are a bit crooked, maybe because I bite myself when I'm stressed, and I thought I'd better have it fixed.


So, it turns out my wisdom teeth are impacted, so they'll need to be taken out, and that sounds really painful. Oh, and I'm missing a tooth!
It's not that the tooth fell out. 
Like, you have those flat front teeth on the front of the top row of teeth, right? Well, you're also supposed to have four on the bottom row. But I only have three. So it just never developed, and because of it, my bite's a bit.


The thing is, I'd been to a dentist just a week before, and no one said anything. 


And, they made molds of my teeth and took pictures for dental records. I might have small lips or something, because I had to pull reaaally hard on my mouth to get my molars to show. The lady taking the pictures had to help me, and she was pulling so hard, I would've fallen over if I hadn't been taking Tae-Kwon-Do and gotten some muscle in my legs. 


They needed to make four molds, two for each row. One set was for the invisalign thing. The first time, they put a crapload of pink stuff in a tray and I had to bite into it. There was so much, I kept gagging and nearly threw up. 


The second time, the stuff was purplish, and there was less of it, but it tasted awful. And it needed to be in there for two whole minutes! And I hadn't been doing too badly with the top row, until I moved my tongue and I started gagging again. Ugh, it was awful. 


Also, when my mother was talking to one of the ladies there, my brother came up, I guess, and  since he was thirteen, they thought he was my older brother.


But I'm fifteen, and almost a junior in high school!
Do I look like a twelve year old?
Rhetorical question, I think most of you don't know what I look like.
And yeah, I actually have a little bit of a baby face, plus I'm short, but I was wearing a frikking summer school shirt from my school! 


And then my mother told me that one time when she was twenty, someone asked her if she was twelve. Mind you, she has a Masters in mathematics, and she went to college in Korea, so she was doing advanced calculus and statistics and shit, and some person thought she was twelve.
And even now, she could still pass for a high school student.
How is it even possible for a woman to age so slowly? Did she look like she was six in high school?






____________
I don't know if this is just because I'm a pessimist, but I've always liked sunsets better than sunrises.


With sunsets, you get these deep red, orangey-purple tones and they're so breathtaking. But sunrises are kinda pale, and not really that exciting. And they're kinda yellow, and the color's always made me think of... urine.


I think there's probably something wrong with me. 


So, uh, there's my ranting for the week. Have a wonderful weekend, blah, blah, blah, even though, since it's summer you guys probably don't care if it's the weekend because you probably don't have summer school. 


And there's my awkward exit!
(also, how many times have I said "so, uh..." in this post? D: )

2 comments:

  1. Yea...I'm really good at art and people all look at my stuff and go, "So, you're gonna do art after high school, right?". But I've always thought I'd be a writer more than I'd ever be an artist - I didn't even try to be good at art, you know? I just kinda fell into it and didn't ever mean for it to get to be such a part of my image! Arg! Oh well, people are people and we can't exactly change how they see us.

    oh that sounds fun - that's one of the things I want to do when I go to college, take a martial arts class. (and I can barely do one pushup - my arms are like spaghetti - the sad thing is, they were even worse before I started pub. school - just lifting a backpack gave me muscles I could actually feel. (and ok, maybe that required pe class helped too. :P))

    Dunno - although I think I'd rather look younger than my age than older, especially when I'm like 40! XD It's only recently I've started thinking that maybe I almost look my age, for once. Actually got mistaken for a senior/college freshman one time when I was looking for work though. Weird...

    Pshh sunsets are better than sunrises any day. Because yea, sunrises are so boooring. The only sunrises that look awesome are the ones full of clouds. (the backlight! the glow! lolz)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does summer school feel any different than a normal class over the school year?

    I like the look of sunsets more too.. Although the feeling of watching a sunrise makes me feel more at peace/happy because I know I woke up early and there is so much more time left in the day.

    I remember the purple stuff! I think I would have been fine if the woman hadn't told me to make sure I didn't swallow it because a lot of other people tried to. That just made me more conscious of it and then I started gagging too! Pretty uncomfortable...

    That molar thing scares me. Apparently the best thing to do after getting your teeth straightened is to get your molars out so that they don't mess up the rest of your teeth, but that sound painful. They're so far back and huge! I think I'll try to go on without taking them out. I've heard of a few people that have done that and yet still have straight teeth.

    And Tae-Kwon-Do sounds cool. Now in the future you'll be able to beat people up if they mess with you! I've always wanted to do that. Not beat people up, really, just show them that I'm not helpless. And maybe punch someone in the future someday. It just seems like such an important thing not to miss out on in life. It would be like having all the fighting skills in the world and yet having never read a book or watched a movie(Ok, I think there is a grammar problem in there but I have no idea how to fix it).

    ReplyDelete